Adolescence is a time when teens face many pressures and stressors, from academic expectations to social pressure. Unfortunately, with all the stress that comes with being a teen, anxiety can become a problem. It’s important for families to recognize when their teen might need professional help for their anxiety and the benefits of teen anxiety treatment.
When your teen needs anxiety treatment, it’s important to find a program that works for them. At Beyond Healthcare, our team works diligently with teens to help them build healthier lives. With after-school and more intensive programs available, your teen can receive the help they need when they need it. Find out more about our services in our Toledo, Ohio center by calling 833.698.0453 or contacting us online today.
What Causes Teens Stress?
At any age, life can be stressful. But teens may face increased pressure due to their growing independence as they transition into adulthood. Common factors that create stress in teens include:
- School performance – Academic expectations and performance can create a lot of stress for teens.
- Peer pressure – Peer pressure can lead to unhealthy behaviors like substance use, which can lead to stress.
- Family dynamics – Family issues such as divorce or arguments among parents can create an environment of tension and stress for your teen.
- Extracurricular activities – The demands of extracurricular activities and other commitments can add a lot of stress to your teen’s life.
- Relationships with friends and family members – Social relationships can be a source of both positive and negative stress for teens.
- Changes in physical appearance or body image – As teens approach puberty, changes in their bodies can cause a lot of stress.
In some cases, these stressors can lead to anxiety disorders like panic disorder or generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).
How Does Anxiety Impact Teens?
Anxiety affects each person differently. Some common signs that your teen may be struggling with an anxiety disorder include:
- Difficulty concentrating or sleeping
- Feeling overwhelmed by daily tasks or responsibilities
- Avoidance of certain activities or situations due to fear or worry
- Unexplained physical symptoms such as headaches or stomachaches
- Irritability or mood swings
If your teen exhibits any of these signs, it may be time to consider professional help.
How a Teen Anxiety Treatment Program Works
If you decide that professional help is needed for your teen’s anxiety issues, several options are available. Your family doctor can refer you to a mental health specialist who can provide individual counseling and other treatments specifically designed for anxious teens, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) or mindfulness-based intervention (MBI). There are also group therapy programs available that provide support among other teens facing similar issues in a safe environment where they can share experiences and learn from one another.
The Benefits of Teen Anxiety Treatment
The benefits of seeking out professional treatment for your anxious teen are numerous. Most importantly, it provides them with the tools necessary to manage their own mental health so that they can live an independent life free from the negative impacts of untreated anxiety, which can affect academic performance, relationships with others, and overall quality of life.
Professional treatment also helps them develop new coping skills, so they don’t have to rely on unhealthy behaviors like substance abuse as a way to cope with their anxious feelings. It also gives them access to support professionals who understand the unique challenges faced by adolescents struggling with mental health issues so they feel heard and understood in a safe space without judgment.
Find an Anxiety Specialist for Teens at Beyond Healthcare
At Beyond Healthcare in Toledo, Ohio, we understand how difficult navigating teenage anxieties can be for both teens and their families. That’s why we offer a specialized teen anxiety treatment program tailored to the individual needs of teens experiencing stress and anxiety. Our team of experienced mental health professionals is dedicated to helping teenagers learn effective coping strategies and develop healthier habits for managing anxiety in the long term. Contact us online or by calling 833.698.0453 today for more information about our teen anxiety treatment program.