Adolescence is a critical formative time. The physical, emotional, and social experiences of adolescence can have profound and lasting influences on development. Multiple factors affect mental health, and the more risk factors a teen or adolescent is exposed to, the higher their risk for developing a mental health condition. Depression, anxiety, and behavior disorders are the most common mental health issues impacting American adolescents. Finding help from a partial hospitalization program (PHP) can provide support and hope for the future. Partial hospitalization for teens provides a level of care for individuals who need more intensive care than an outpatient program offers but who do not require 24-hour supervision.
At Beyond Healthcare, we understand that your adolescent’s needs are unique, which is why we tailor our programs to meet the individual needs of each adolescent in our programs. To find out if our partial hospitalization program is right for your adolescent, reach out to our team at 833.698.0453.
Does Your Teen Need a PHP?
When your adolescent lives with a mental health condition, life can feel chaotic and overwhelming, especially when their symptoms include behavioral issues. Finding the best fit for treatment can take time and lead to feelings of frustration and hopelessness for you and your adolescent. It is critical to have patience and remember that just as your adolescent’s symptoms did not develop overnight, neither can they be resolved overnight.
A partial hospitalization program provides the same level of intensive treatment offered in a residential program while allowing your adolescent to remain at home on nights and weekends. Through a PHP, your adolescent gets the best of both worlds: a safe, caring, supportive therapeutic community and the emotional support they need from family and friends. Partial hospitalization for teens might be right for your adolescent if:
- They are transitioning out of residential treatment.
- They refuse to participate in outpatient treatment.
- Outpatient treatment is not providing a high enough level of treatment.
- They have increasing difficulty maintaining daily responsibilities.
- They are self-harming or abusing alcohol or drugs.
- They are unable to maintain healthy relationships with family or friends.
- School performance is suffering because of symptoms or school refusal.
At Beyond Healthcare, we know that your adolescent’s mental health symptoms impact the entire family. Therefore, our PHP provides treatment for the whole family, including education, therapy, and community support groups.
What Happens in a PHP for Teens?
The first step of treatment is to meet with our team to determine which program best suits your adolescent’s and family’s needs. Next, a comprehensive mental health assessment, including a medication assessment and physical exam, will provide a complete picture of your adolescent’s needs so that our team can develop an individualized treatment plan. At Beyond Healthcare, we offer partial hospitalization for teens that runs from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Education about mental health is a critical component of treatment so that adolescents can learn to manage their mental health condition to reduce symptoms. Other elements of treatment include:
- Individual therapy – Meeting one-on-one with a therapist helps teens learn coping skills and explore underlying issues. This private setting can provide space for them to be vulnerable while developing trust with the therapist.
- Group therapy – Working with other teens in a safe and supportive environment provides a platform for learning problem-solving strategies, processing emotions, and building confidence.
- Family therapy – Addressing family dynamics that may be contributing to symptoms can provide a platform for understanding and support.
- Creative therapies – Using art, music, or drama to help adolescents express themselves can be beneficial in understanding and processing emotions.
- Medication management – Working with a mental health provider to ensure optimal medication use and adjust as needed can be beneficial in reducing symptoms.
- Behavior modification programs – Learning to understand and change behaviors can be helpful in developing better coping skills for the future.
- Tutoring and education – Helping adolescents stay on track with school and academic performance can be helpful in providing structure and routine.
- Life skills training – Learning valuable life skills such as time management, problem-solving, healthy eating, and more can help adolescents transition to independent living.
Your adolescent’s specific therapies will depend upon their unique needs. However, all adolescents in our PHP learn coping skills, communication skills, and problem-solving skills to manage their mental health better to reduce their symptoms and risky behaviors. Guided group therapy sessions are an integral part of our PHP because peer connections and community support are vital to successful treatment.
Learn More About the Teen Partial Hospitalization Program at Beyond Healthcare
At Beyond Healthcare, we provide evidence-based, holistic mental health treatment programs for adolescents and families. Our partial hospitalization program for teens fills the gap between outpatient and residential mental health treatment. We provide assessment, diagnosis, and treatment for a wide range of mental health conditions and behavioral challenges. Our caring professionals understand the difficulties of coordinating care with a busy schedule, so we offer multiple flexible treatment options.
Contact us at 833.698.0453 to learn more about our mental health services for adolescents and families, including our partial hospitalization program.