Watching your child suffer from mental health and behavioral issues is painful, frightening, and frustrating. Sometimes it can be challenging to know what is part of typical behavior and when treatment is needed. If you believe your child needs professional treatment, trust your instincts and reach out for help. Beyond Healthcare in Toledo, OH, offers comprehensive outpatient treatment for children and teens aged six to 17. Our day treatment & after-school programs provide holistic, evidence-based therapies for a wide range of diagnoses in a safe, structured, and nurturing environment.
Beyond Healthcare’s programs and services provide the treatment and support necessary to help your child overcome their symptoms and learn to manage their mental health for the long term. Further, family therapy helps improve the overall functioning of each family member and the family unit as a whole. Call 833.698.0453 to learn more about our programs.
5 Day Treatment Activities for Children and Teens
Many Beyond Healthcare community families participate in our day treatment and after-school program. We utilize group therapy to help children and teens manage mental health issues and develop communication and social skills. Their age and life situation determine your child’s group, uniquely designed to reduce their mental health symptoms.
We offer various activities depending on your child’s age and specific mental health and behavioral concerns. All activities work to provide therapy to your child. However, we strive to make group activities fun and interesting so that your child stays engaged to reap the benefits.
Some examples of day treatment and after-school program activities include:
- Role-play activities – Role-play is a highly effective therapeutic technique adaptable across all ages. Younger children might do superhero or puppet role-play, while teens might role-play specific social situations.
- Gameplay activities – Again, games are highly adaptable. Different games focus on communication, strategy, self-control, and cooperation.
- Imagery activities – Imagery and fantasy activities can range from guided imagery and other mindfulness practices to adaptive doll play.
- Creative arts activities – Art therapy is effective and enjoyable. Activities can include drawing, painting, sculpting, collage, coloring, and more.
- Movement activities – Movement therapy is crucial for children and teens and can involve anything from dancing to playing ball.
Our day treatment and after-school program is clinician-led and runs from 4–7 p.m. Monday through Friday during the school year. We recommend attendance three to five times per week. Our summer day treatment program runs from June 3 to August 13, with sessions from 10–1 p.m. and 2–5 p.m.
What Are the Benefits of After-School Program Activities?
If you notice or teachers tell you that your child or teen is struggling with relationships, self-confidence, emotional outbursts, staying focused, physical violence, or any other mental health or behavioral concern, Beyond Healthcare can help.
In our structured, therapeutic day treatment and after-school program, your child or teen can learn to build relationships with peers, receive feedback, reduce symptoms, and discover new ways to manage their mental health and behavior.
The benefits you can expect for your child or teen include:
- Supervision in the afternoon and evening hours
- A sense of belonging to a community
- Practice with daily living skills
- Improved self-esteem
- Better emotional regulation
- Peer support
- Behavioral regulation
Children and teens experience emotions more intensely than adults and often have more difficulty managing them. Through group therapy in therapeutic day treatment, they can understand the underlying causes of their thoughts, feelings, and behaviors and gain the tools needed to help them feel and function better.
Contact Beyond Healthcare for More Information About Therapeutic Day Treatment Activities
Beyond Healthcare provides quality, consistent care to children, teens, and families in need in a safe, therapeutic, and non-judgemental environment. We are committed to meeting families and providing services at our center, in the community, in homes, or in telehealth programs. Contact us for more information about the day treatment and after-school program at Beyond Healthcare or schedule an appointment. Use our online form or call 833.698.0453.