Teen mental health treatment is vital for helping teens cope with the difficulties they may be facing. Treatment can consist of both individual and group therapy, medication management, family therapy, and other interventions such as activity groups. Often, creative and holistic therapies are used to help teens connect with themselves and others better while developing new perspectives to view their emotions. Art therapy is one of these methods, but what is art therapy?
At Beyond Healthcare, we help adolescents and teens ages 11-17 who are living with mental health conditions. We are committed to helping them develop better coping skills so they can have a more positive outlook on life to achieve their goals. Learn more about our art therapy program and other services at our Toledo, OH treatment center by calling 833.698.0453 today.
What Is Art Therapy?
Expressive therapies like art therapy offer a creative outlet to express and explore emotions. Art therapy is the use of art mediums such as painting, drawing, sculpting, and other visual arts by combining personal experience with artistic expression to create a non-verbal way of expressing themselves.
Art therapy can be incredibly helpful for teens who are struggling with their mental health since it helps them express their feelings and emotions in a safe, non-threatening environment. Art therapy sessions are facilitated by art therapists who have specialized training and experience working with adolescents. During the session, teens will be encouraged to use artistic media to explore their thoughts and emotions.
Benefits of Teen Art Therapy Services
There are several notable benefits of teen art therapy, including:
- Helping teens develop better communication skills – Art therapy encourages teens to express their feelings in a creative and non-judgmental atmosphere, which can help them build better communication skills that they can apply to other areas of their life.
- Encouraging self-expression – Artistic expression is associated with increased self-esteem and confidence. Through art therapy, teens can learn to express themselves in a safe and supported way.
- Providing a distraction from stress – Artistic expression can help take the focus away from difficult emotions or thoughts, allowing teens to detach from their struggles for a short period of time.
Your teen could realize the benefits of art therapy in just a few sessions. Over time, an art therapist will work with your teen closely to help them recognize and express their emotions in a healthy way. With the right guidance and support, they can learn how to manage challenging thoughts and feelings more effectively.
What Is Art Therapy Used to Treat?
Teens often find themselves in difficult situations, not knowing how to express their feelings or how to cope with stress and anxiety. Art therapy provides them an outlet to explore their thoughts and emotions safely.
Mental health conditions can make it even more challenging for teens to cope with strong emotions. Teens with depression, anxiety, behavioral problems, or other mental health challenges can benefit greatly from art therapy.
Art Therapy at Beyond Healthcare
At Beyond Healthcare, our experienced art therapists understand the unique needs of adolescents and teens. We provide a supportive environment to help them work through their challenges in a safe and healthy way. Our team is dedicated to helping teens who are struggling with:
- Mood disorders
- Suicidal thoughts
- Addictions and co-occurring disorders
- Physical, sexual, or emotional trauma
- Family transitions such as moving or divorce
- Grief and loss
- LGBTQ+-related challenges and issues
- Relationship problems
If you’d like to learn more about our art therapy program, call us at 833.698.0453 or contact us online today. We’re here to help your teen find the emotional support they need to thrive.