If your teen has been prescribed medication for a mental health condition, you may have heard of medication therapy management (MTM). But what is medication therapy management? In short, MTM is a service offered by some doctors and pharmacists that provides guidance and support to patients who are taking medications. Here’s what you need to know about MTM and how it can help your teen.
At Beyond Healthcare, our medication management program works with individual, group, and family therapy sessions to provide holistic healing for the adolescents and teens we treat. For youth between 11-17, receiving early treatment can be vital to promote long-term wellness and a healthy future. If your teen struggles with their mental health, don’t wait to get them help. Call 833.698.0453 today to learn more about the support your teen could receive in one of our outpatient programs in Ohio.
What Is Medication Therapy Management for Mental Health?
MTM services can help patients with any chronic condition, but they are often used for patients with mental health conditions.
MTM services can vary depending on the provider, but they typically include:
- Reviewing the patient’s medication list
- Assessing the appropriateness of each medication
- Identifying and addressing any potential drug interactions
- Making sure the patient is taking their medications as prescribed
- Monitoring the patient’s progress on their medications
- Providing education and support to the patient about their medications
Common Mental Health Medications
Medication management for a teen struggling with their mental health can be a vital improvement in their lives, but what kind of medications do doctors and pharmacists work with? Some of the most common medications include:
- Anti-anxiety medications – These medications can help to reduce anxiety and promote relaxation.
- Stimulants – Stimulants are often used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). They can improve focus, concentration, and impulsivity.
- Antidepressants – Antidepressants are commonly prescribed to treat depression. They can help to improve mood and energy levels.
- Antipsychotics – Antipsychotics are used to treat conditions like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and severe depression. They can help to reduce hallucinations, delusions, and other psychotic symptoms.
What to Expect in Medication Therapy Management
If you’re considering MTM for your teen, it’s important to know what to expect. First, you’ll schedule an appointment with a healthcare professional who offers MTM services. During the meeting, the professional will review your teen’s symptoms, medications, and medical history. The pharmacist will then recommend how your teen can best manage their medications.
It’s important to find a healthcare provider who takes your teen’s health and family concerns seriously. Not everyone is comfortable with the thought of their teen taking medication, and your teen may also feel nervous about it. After your visit with the healthcare professional, talk to your teen personally about how they feel and any concerns they may have. Then, you can make an informed decision together.
How Medication Therapy Management Can Help Teens
MTM can be incredibly beneficial for teens who are taking medication for a mental health condition. The extra support and guidance from a pharmacist can help ensure that your teen is taking their medications safely and effectively. Additionally, MTM can help manage any side effects your teen may be experiencing from their medications. If you’re considering MTM for your teen, be sure to talk to their doctor or mental health provider first to find out if they have any recommendations.
Teen Mental Health Medication Management in Ohio at Beyond Healthcare
If you are looking for medication management for teens and adolescents in Ohio, Beyond Healthcare is a great option. Our team of healthcare professionals is experienced in working with young people and can provide your teen with the support they need to manage their medications safely and effectively.
We understand that it can be difficult to decide if medication management is right for your teen, so we offer free consultations so you can learn more about our services. We also accept Medicaid and most insurance plans, so please contact us today at 833.698.0453 to find out more about how we can help your teen.